Gallery 2.2 (Double Double) Released!
Gallery 2.2 (Double Double) is now available for download! In what has been close to a year of development, the Gallery team has packed this release full of new features and security enhancements. Major new features include: Downloadable Plugins which let you download, install, and upgrade modules and themes through the web interface; Dynamic Albums which let you set up albums based on keywords, ratings, and more; and WebDAV support for managing your photo library like a network hard drive with folders of images.
Translations and Integrations: Additionally, 8 languages are now 100% translated, 13 more are over 60% translated, and support has been added for integration with even more 3rd party applications! Check out the Gallery 2 Localization Report and the Available Integrations page for the full lists.
Security: Like each Gallery 2 release before this one, after a professional security audit we have made many improvements to further tighten down Gallery 2 and keep the bad guys out. All issues addressed in this release were discovered during this private, internal security audit. No known exploits are available, however, we highly recommend that you upgrade to Gallery 2.2 to secure your Gallery installation.
As always before you ask for help, please, please read the README -- we've made an effort to answer all of your questions there. Especially read the known issues section. Upgrading is quick and easy, but if you're upgrading from 2.1 or earlier there are a few things you should know first so be sure to scan the upgrading instructions.
Thanks for your continued support! Read on for more details...
New Features of Gallery 2.2 Include:
- Downloadable Plugins.
- This feature allows you to download and install Modules and Themes directly via the Site Admin interface. You can select from different sets of plugins (officially released plugins, experimental plugins under development and plugins provided by the Gallery community). This makes it very easy to stay up to date with the latest changes.
- Added support for themes to display dynamic albums.
- New Keyword Album module makes use of this feature to show albums based on a search of item keywords.
- New Dynamic Albums module shows albums of newest, most viewed or even random items.
- Ratings module has a new view to display highly rated items from across the Gallery.
- Watermarking changes
- Edit Album now has a Watermark tab where watermarks may be added or removed from an entire album, optionally including subalbums too.
- Edit Watermark now has an option to replace a watermark image and apply the new image everywhere the old was one used.
- New option to always use a single watermark and give users no watermarking options. Only Site Admins can change/remove existing watermarks.
- New option to turn off the ability for users to upload their own watermark images.
- New themes: Carbon and Ajaxian
- New WebDAV module to mount Gallery as network device on your computer. This allows you to easily manage your Gallery with any WebDAV client like Windows Explorer.
- New module to send Ecards.
- New Digibug module for prints from digibug.com.
- Added support for Flash Video and Windows ASF video.
- Photo auto-rotation based on camera sensors or on settings from other applications.
...and many more!
Important Changes in System Requirements:
PHP 4.3.0 or later: Gallery 2.2 requires PHP 4.3.0 (formerly 4.1.0) or more recent PHP 4 versions. Gallery 2.2 still works with PHP 5.0.4 or later PHP 5 versions as well.
Note for Microsoft IIS Users: As of Gallery 2.2, Microsoft IIS doesn't work with PHP-CGI due to a PHP/IIS bug. Microsoft recommends FastCGI instead and doesn't support PHP-CGI. Please use ISAPI PHP or FastCGI with IIS instead. If you are using Apache on Windows, you can still use PHP-CGI (and mod_php or FastCGI).