Gallery 3.0 Beta 3 is ready!
Beta 3 is here! With this final beta, we begin the sprint to our full release! Your feedback in our beta series has been priceless so far, help us with our final push to work out the last little bugs and issues and polish up the product! Download it now! or read on for more details...
Gallery 3 Beta 3 is still not quite a finished product yet. There's still a lot of polishing to do, and a bunch of small missing features. But even in its incomplete state it is a fast, reliable and secure product. Live a little, try it out! If you're excited about creating beautiful themes and writing your own custom modules, now is a great time to get involved!
Our good friends at Gotham Digital Science did a professional security audit for us, and we have fixed all the major flaws they uncovered. The minor issues that remain are along the lines of "you should ask for the old password as a confirmation when you let users change their password." We'll fix those, before the final release. All big security holes are closed. Did we miss some? We hope not, but if you install Beta 3 on a public site, we encourage you to watch for new releases and be prepared to upgrade if we put out security fixes.
Wahoooo! Let's go!
With the disclaimers and warnings out of the way, here it is:
Download Gallery 3.0 Beta 3 (1.3 MB)
or retrieve directly from our revision control with
Upgrading from Gallery 3 Beta 1 and Beta 2
You can upgrade from Beta 1 or Beta 2 (but not from earlier
releases). Upgrading is really easy! Unpack the new version on top
of the old one to replace the existing files and then either browse to:
(except use your real domain name) or if you have shell access, run:
php index.php upgrade
The Gallery 3 Philosophy
We set out to make an amazing application. Not only will you be able to easily host your photos, but you'll find that Gallery 3 makes it a joy. We focused on the following 4 principles:
Keep It Small - Gallery 3 is 4.5 MB with all of its features. This is a tiny fraction of the size of most similar applications.
Make It Intuitive - We've got some great usability and user interface experts on our team, designing and prototyping interfaces that just make sense. Frequent tasks are now quick and easy. Tough tasks are possible with great new interfaces.
Make It Fast - We've made some tough decisions in keeping the scope of Gallery 3 small. We've created a set of features that we think will make most of you really happy, while avoiding some of the crazier features that make the product slow. As a result, you're going to find that it's really snappy!
Make it Extensible - Our module system is so simple that even now while we're still in beta, the community has written 26 modules ranging from facial recognition to slideshows to batch tagging. Download and play with them from the gallery3-contrib repository on GitHub.
How Did We Do It?
We have stood on the shoulders of giants. Gallery 3.0 is made possible by some truly great advances in technology.
Kohana - We evaluated many PHP frameworks before choosing Kohana. It's speed, flexibility and power made it just what we needed. Thanks to the Kohana folks for providing this first class application framework!
PHP 5 - We're taking advantage of many of the new features and capabilities available in the latest versions of PHP. This allows us to write much less code and have a faster product.
So what's new in this release?There's not enough room to list everything, but highlights include:
- Configurable custom URLs for each album, photo or movie.
- Greatly improved UI for administration pages
- Systematic fixes for Cross Site Security (XSS) vulnerabilities.
- Compatibility with PHP 5.3
- New, extensible context menus for albums, photos and movies.
- Better support for viewing full size images
- Rewritten Organize module. It's got a little less functionality now, but it's much cleaner and will be a primary focus for the next release.
- Tags are now searchable
- Much improved bidirectional language support
- 103 fixed tickets in the beta 3 release
- Support for photo printing with Digibug
- Many stability improvements for the Gallery 2 import module, including better logging, and multi-site support. You still can't import from embedded Gallery 2 installs (sorry!)
- The Server Add module has been completely rewritten to be more robust.(beta 2)
- Recent Changes and Most Viewed albums are now available
- Improved localization support for strings in dialog boxes
- Lots of small improvements to the organize module (a full rewrite is planned for the next release)
- Totally awesome 1-click upgrader. Upgrading has never been this easy!
- Support for configurable date formats (under Admin > Settings > Advanced)
- Support for short URL styles (look in gallery3/.htaccess for info on how to set that up)
- 108 closed tickets in the beta 2 release
- Support for upgrading to further releases
- Full HTTPS support
- Use the EXIF caption as the photo description
- Support for installs into non-empty databases
- Gallery 2 Import now imports comments, sort orders, keywords, tags, timestamps and more
- Photo and album names are editable
- Big improvements to the Organize (bulk editing) feature including drag and drop, mass rotation and album highlights
- Advanced settings editor
- Greatly improved permissions interface
- Improved localization client UI allowing to translate plurals
- Performance improvements
- 85 closed tickets in the beta 1 release
- Bulk editing interface
- Gallery 2 to Gallery 3 import
- Tag management for admins
- 41 closed tickets in the alpha 4 release
- Support for database table prefixes
- Random image block for the sidebar
- Module administration view
- Added translation server and localization client
- Reimplemented the Flash uploader using SWFUpload
- Album sort orderers
- Add photos directly from the web server (improved in alpha 3)
- User/group/permissions management UI
- Auto-login at the end of the installer, with a welcome page
- Moved Google Maps and Polar Rose modules out of the official package into the community repository
- 58 closed tickets in the alpha 3 release
- Localized UI with built-in editor (server side support is not finished)
- RSS feed for comments
- RSS feed for new images or movies
- EXIF read support
- Add photos directly from the web server
- Support for uploading and viewing FLV movie files
- Ability to view full size photos
- Boolean and full text search
- Album browsing
- Item commenting, comment moderation
- Spam protection with Akismet and Recaptcha
- Image toolkit support for ImageMagick, GD, and GraphicsMagick
- Theme system, including separate admin theme.
- Module system to extend the functionality, and a series of existing modules
- Basic metadata boolean search with relevance ranking
- Flash-powered slideshow (Cooliris)
- Album media RSS feeds
- Quick edits of item metadata
- In place item deletion and rotation
- User group management (drag & drop interface)
- Basic user permission management
- Admin dashboard with drag and drop blocks
This is the final beta release. Now we're going to be restraining ourselves to UI polishing, cross browser support, performance and stability. We want to release this to you as soon as possible! A few things that we know we'll be adding include:
- More bulk editing capabilities in the Organize feature
- Import permissions from Gallery 2
- Remap Gallery 2 urls to Gallery 3
- Improved tagging support
- Basic embedding hooks / instructions
- (opt-in) Stats collection (helps us to improve the product)
You can track development on our Trac roadmap.
If you have any overall feedback, please visit the Gallery 3.0 Beta 3 Feedback forum topic and let us know! If you have questions, please visit the Gallery 3 Wiki, the future home for Gallery 3 documentation.