I'm relatively new to Drupal and this is my first Gallery2 embed, but I read the documentation pretty carefully and think I did everything right. What follows is the exact order of my installation:
1) I'm running WAMP on Windows XP
2) I did a fresh install of Drupal to my www
3) Extracted a bunch of modules that I'd need to sites/all/modules EXCEPT of course Gallery
4) Extracted and installed Gallery2 to my Drupal folder, NOT my web root/www folder
5) Extracted and enabled Gallery module and went to Settings where I got to the fourth item where it told me I couldn't instantiate a URL rewrite in Gallery 2.
6) I disabled and uninstalled Gallery module
7) Went back to Gallery2 admin -> plugins -> URL rewrite -> configure
8) Uncommented lines in both .htaccess files located at:
RewriteBase /drupal/gallery2/modules/rewrite/data/mod_rewrite_no_options/custom/ ... &
9) Ran both Test mod-rewrite manually:
mod_rewrite configuration 1 (with global Options +FollowSymlinks) ... &
mod_rewrite configuration 2 (with local Options +FollowSymlinks) ... and they BOTH gave me a PASS_REWRITE
10) BUT ... I still can't get the URL rewrite plugin in Gallery2 to enable and therefore can't get Drupal to instantiate a URL rewrite from Gallery
At this point, I don't know enough about Apache and .htaccess, mod_rewrite etc. to know what to do next.
Can anyone point me in the right direction ...
Thank you in advance ...