Announcing the Gallery bounty program!
The Gallery team is very excited to announce a new bounty program, where we pay you for helping us out by finding security problems in Gallery products or by contributing code. Additionally, you can pitch in to the fund to reward people that fix bugs or write features you want to see fixed or implemented! We're pledging $5000 to get this started, and you can start contributing right now! Read on for the details of this program.
We're offering a substantial amount of money for responsibly reporting security issues to us. To get the bounty, the security issue must be reported to firstname.lastname@example.org and must not be made public until a fix is available from us on the official Gallery website. The security issue must be valid on the latest release of Gallery 2. Critical problems that require an immediate fix will be worth $1000 and smaller amounts will be paid out for moderate ($400), uncritical ($200), and trivial problems ($100). If we are already aware of an issue, you won't receive the full bounty but will still be credited with finding it independently (and may, at our discretion, receive some of the bounty amount). Understandably, known security issues aren't listed publicly until they are fixed and not all security issues are serious enough to require an immediate fix. We have a long history of collaborating with security researchers and are convinced that trust will not be an issue.
Feature and Bug Bounties
You can also make money fixing bugs or writing code! This one is a little more complicated, but the outcome is similar. We'll pay you to write features or fix bugs that have been voted into the "top feature requests" list. The #1 open item is worth $500, #2 $400, #3 $300, and the rest of the top 10 are worth $250. However, this isn't as easy as it sounds, there are a few requirements:
- You must get approval from us before starting on your work. This is both to claim the item (we won't let other developers sign up for the bounty until you give up or disappear) and make sure that the goals are well defined. Some of the RFEs aren't very specific and we'll mutually agree on a set of deliverables before you get started. To get the bounty, your code must meet the spirit of the request (with the majority of the core team approving).
- You should work in the open. We'll need to see progress for you to keep the bounty assigned to you, and code developed without feedback from the team will be sent back without detailed review if it doesn't look or feel right. This sounds subjective and is! We'll help you out if you work in the open, and you'll get the money as long as you do a significant amount of the work.
- Your work must meet our coding standards and include unit tests. This isn't hard, but working in the open and getting continual feedback from us will likely be important! It must be accepted into Gallery SVN trunk (or gallery-contrib if the code is for Gallery 2 and the majority of the core team approves), the copyright must be assigned to us (as with all of our contributed code), and the code must be licensed with the GPL.
Getting and giving money
E-mail email@example.com to either donate or sign up for a bounty. (Security reports always go to firstname.lastname@example.org) If you would like to donate to a specific RFE just make a donation with one of the usual methods and forward a copy of your donation confirmation and let us know what RFE you're donating towards. Initially, 50% of your donation will go to the winner of the bounty and 50% will be treated as a regular donation. Once the total amount of donations received matches our initial contribution to that particular item, 25% of your donation will go to the winner of the bounty and 75% will go to the general fund. Additionally, recipients of a bounty don't have to accept any or all of it! They are welcome to privately (only known to the person on our team that manages our finances) or publicly (news announcement!) accept or refuse all or part of the bounty. Once our initial $5000 commitment is gone, we will likely put more money into the program and make an announcement indicating this.
Additional details will be posted on the Gallery Bounties Page as we write them up and answer questions.